G-Tech meter

David Chambers dchamber at gil.com.au
Thu May 1 04:03:42 GMT 1997

dzorde wrote:

> Has anyone heard of an aftermarket measurement device called a G-tech meter
> (at least that's what I think its called).  It's a small unit that sticks to
> your windscreen with a suction cup and plugs into the cigarette lighter
> socket for power.  It will give you g-forces, 1/4 mile time, HP rating and a
> few other things I think.  Someone in our car club bought one to try out and
> he said it was quite accurate, the HP reading was 2HP less than actual
> measurements from dyno testing.  His 1/4 mile times were also close to
> actual times.
>
> Has anyone used this device ?  I would like the feedback from a few more
> people before I'd consider buying one, although its reasonably cheap at
> AU$250 after freight and taxes.  I need something to help with setting up
> the suspension in the race car, and this device may just be it.
>
> How does it measure the distance (doppler effect ?), or does it calculate
> distance from your acceleration ?  If this is the case how does it go in
> hilly areas, bumpy roads, etc ?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Dan     dzorde at geocities.com
Hi Dan,
I havent actually seen or used a G-Tech meter but i do have a vericom
VC200 which is an older version of the same thing. The VC200 works well
but you do need a fairly level flat area for testing. I used an old
airport runway and got HP and quarter mile time's within the same
limit's as you quoted. We tried it around corners on a race track and
found it hard when carrying a passenger to read the meter to consistent
G forces.
Regards
David