G-Tech meter

Stephen Dubovsky dubovsky at vt.edu
Fri May 2 03:08:54 GMT 1997

At 10:00 AM 5/1/97 -0500, you wrote:
>I'm confused .... an accelerometer is an "AC-coupled" device.
>I.e. it only detects a "change" in velocity.  If it reads while
>sitting still or when the speed is constant, it must be a weight
>hung on a pot, not a 'real' accelerometer.

  Nope, they are 'real' accelerometers, w/ a mass (NOT a weight) suspended
and they should measure 'DC'.  You are exposed to ~9.8m/s^2 of acceleration
every day, keeping your feet and car on the earth;)  A 'real' accelerometer
will correctly measure this ~1g force if the axis is aligned in the
vertical direction.
SMD