G-Tech meter

David Doddek pantera at pobox.com
Fri May 2 04:04:58 GMT 1997

Could I get the source for the accelerometer cell.  That could be fun to
experiment with.  Maybee try 3 axis and compensate for hills and turns.

>I sawthese advertised and thought that it would be simple to make up
>my own.  Sure enough within a week I had a fully built and working
>accelerometer.  The one that I built is programmable for the
>acceleration speeds, i.e. you could time 50 -70mph or 0-100 if you
>wanted.  It uses a 24 * 2 character LCD display and does maximum hold
>values for acceleration and braking as well as cornering force.  The
>distance calculation is done from the acceleration, the calculations
>are very simple to do.   The most expensive parts for it were the
>accelerometers which were u25 each but are good quality accurate
>ones.  There will be problems with going up and down hills and when
>you do not accelerate in a straight line.  The distance that the
>measurement is performed over is usually quite small so that errors
>that come about from the double integration required are quite small.
> I am going to start some work on version two which will have more
>features such as storing the data at various points and automatic
>recalibration for accelerating round corners.  As for the
>performance.  I can't speak from experience of the G-Tech meter but
>mine is very good on consistency.  The timing is atarted
>automatically when an acceleration of more the 0.05G is detected so
>that false starts from vehicle vibrations are not a problem.  If you
>are interested in this and would like some help with the calculations
>I would be glad to help.  The work on the microcontroller was done on
>an 87C752 which is basically an 8052 core with built in EPROM and RAM
>and ADCs.  From what I've heard the G-Tech meters and accurate to
>within 0.4seconds and repeatable to within 0.2 seconds.  This is from
>some review in a magazine.
>
>Martin

David Doddek     pantera at pobox.com    www.pobox.com/~pantera    217-422-3722
69 EFI Fairlane, 89 T-bird SC, 74 Twin turbo NOS EFI Pantera (I like to go fast)