Water Injection on Bosch L Jetronic

Richard Cartledge fac51 at innotts.co.uk
Fri May 2 09:14:28 GMT 1997

I am thinking of using the cold-start injector on my '86 BMW 525i (which
has a M30 B25 engine with BOSCH L-Jetronic) as a water injector.

The cold-start injector is not needed by me anyway.

The injection of a mist of water into the intake path should help
prevent engine knock, thereby allowing me to advance the ignition which
will give much better perfomance but not produce pinging.

I was thinking of using a fuel injection pump connected to the cold
start injector and pumping distilled water.

Obviously water may accumulate/condence in the intake manifold so I'd
re-plum the small-bore PCV tubing and nylon vacuum hose for the cabin
temperature sensor and maybe install some sort of miniture bilge pump to
clear any water puddles in the air distribuor/inkate manifold.

I'm interested in any tips or people doing similar things or any other
relevant discussion.

Thanks, Richard Cartledge (email address at top)