That gol durned fuel injection

Corey L. Cole corey.l.cole at boeing.com
Fri May 2 15:17:19 GMT 1997

M HILL wrote:

> I would argue that carbs are more tuneable than MOST efi systems in
> that you can change jets and tubes in a carb whereas a lot of efi
> systems are preset at the factory, there is nothing to change and so
> to the user this is less tuneable.  They might cope better with
> changes made to the engine without altering the efi setup but mostly
> they are untuneable.  Apart from when you have a computer you can
> hook up to the system and know what all the tables do and where they
> are.  Some efi systems are designed to be tuneable and these systems
> are a lot more tuneable than carbs, as has been said, if you know
> where the maps are you can just change one value.
>
> Martin

If you're gonna compare apples and apples...
How many changes can you make to a carb without any hard parts?
Idle, when the booster pump kicks in that's it.
How can you expect EFI to be any different.  The computer is set at the
factory (a la EEC-IV and new GM flash PROMS).  Doesn't mean that you can't
change the setting with the correct hard parts.

Carbs and EFI both have their place.  Carbs are absolutely dirt cheap.  EFI
enables more sophisticated solutions to engineering problems.

In the vein of the original post...Sure, lots of people think that carbs are
the way to go.  Look at all the people that buy perfectly running 'stang 5.0s
and replace the EFI with carbs.

IMHO, EFI is the best solution in a cost independent situation.  Doesn't mean
my upcoming '65 Buick project won't use a carb.  I won't touch all the stuff
about toothless people :)

Later,
Corey L. Cole                     | Cole's Law:  Thinly sliced cabbage
 M/S 19-HH                        |
 E-mail: corey.l.cole at boeing.com  | Perpetual optimism is a force
 Phone: 206-662-3596              | multiplier  -Gen. Colin Powell