ecu voltage problem

S. Lastuka kicker at goodall2.u.washington.edu
Sun May 4 21:33:28 GMT 1997

Our system seems to be running quite well at the moment (we are
tuning the maps). It is a tps system.  Very simple.  We are running a 600
cc yamaha (YZR i think).  The computer is based on RPM/tps because we have
never done this kind of thing before and that seemed to be the simplest
way to do it.  Last year the team used a Haltech computer which used MAP
and delta tps.  This system was effective but had a lot of starting
problems and would not idle below 2500-3000 rpm.  Our system this year will
loaf the engine along at 1000 rpm.  I think this
is because a MAP system gets a fluctuating pressure signal at idle.  On
the other hand the tps signal is constant and also holds the pulse width
constant thereby letting the engine run on what it gets and not have a
computer constantly adjusting to what the engine wants.
This of course could cause the engine to running lean or rich so that is
why we probably have to do a lot more tuning.  I am speculating on all of
this since i too am an EE and know a relatively small amount about
engines.
Sean