2 stroke Water injection

Frederic Breitwieser frederic.breitwieser at mcione.com
Mon May 5 12:33:00 GMT 1997

Greetings Jeffrey,

On Sunday, May 04, 1997 3:29 AM, Jeffrey Engel [SMTP:jengel at fastlane.net]
wrote:
> Er, um I may have stepped it in a little.  Another poster informed me
> that the CO2 cartidges didn't provide enough volume of gas to be
> useful.  Possibly enough for an mx race, though.

I would tend to agree actually, as long as the water pressure, injected or
otherwise is higher than the turbo boost or intake manifold pressure, you
are in good shape.  CO2 cartridges from a BB Gun are way too small, and
basically be worthless. Even the 20oz tanks, probably are not enough.  I'm
not basing this on any measurements or math, just what appears to be
unsuitable.  I still think a medium sized water based fire extinguisher
with water/air compressed to about 200psi as a top end, would be more than
suitable.  Since whichever engine I go will be turbo charged at some point,
I will let you all know how I make out.  Detonation is a bad thing :)

> My interest is in turbo auto applications.  Since suitable water
> pressure pumps seem to be hard to get, I'm thinking about using
> pressure to force the water through a fuel injector.  CO2 has the
> nice property of staying liquid at about 60 psi, so you can store a
> lot in a small space.

Yes, I'm familiar with this only due to my years of performing the role as
captain on our paintball team.  At least up until last summer.  The
disadvantage of CO2 is that the pressure inside the tank changes
drastically with temperature, on cold days (<30 my gun wouldn't fire at
all, I'd have to use a pump style gun, where as on hot days (>90 degrees)
I'd every so often blow out the safety disc.  Not sure if my fire
extinguisher idea would experience the same issue or not.

Fred