VW Rabbit pump questions

Peter Orban peter at amtsg6.ime.nrc.ca
Mon May 12 12:44:44 GMT 1997

> From: Thor Johnson <johnsont at falcon.cs.mercer.edu>
> Date: Sat, 10 May 1997 02:17:59 -0400 (EDT)
> Subject: VW Rabbit pump questions

>   1. How do you get air out of a VW rabbit pump (looks like a stainless
> steel can...don't know the year)?  Any particular mounting orientation?

The pump on the Rabbit is mounted horizontally and is gravity fed by a thick
short rubber hose. The pump is actually lower than the bottom of the tank.
Never had any problem getting the air out of it when I replaced it.

>   2. I have a draincock on my fuel rail so I can relieve the pressure.
> Once I bleed it for a little bit, then close it, the pressure goes back
> up (not to 40, but usually to 30+PSI).  Is this normal? (VW pump,
> Pressure filter, toyota feed-through regulator)

VW also had a pressure accumulator after the pump, that kept up the pressure
after shut down and smoothed the pressure pulsations. Do you have that? You
still might have similar effect from all the volume where fuel is under
pressure, and those assemblies are not infinitely stiff.

>   3. The pump is NOISY.  Is this just because there is air in the
> system?  (I can always see a stram of bubbles coming through the return
> line... From where I don't know!)

If memory serves me well, the pump was mounted in a rubber-foam? case, and
there was no direct (metal) contact between the pump and the frame for sound
insulation.

Good luck, Peter

Peter E. Orban
National Research Council of Canada