Electrical Supercharger

Tom Cloud cloud at hagar.ph.utexas.edu
Mon May 12 13:43:17 GMT 1997

>----------
>> From: Robert Harris <bob at bobthecomputerguy.com>
>> To: diy_efi at coulomb.eng.ohio-state.edu
>> Subject: Re: Electrical Supercharger
>> Date: Thursday, May 08, 1997 11:40 PM
>>
>> Electric Superchargers - been there done that - check the speed
>> mags from the 50's.  Worked ok for small engines, all were centrifugal,
>> not much boost, and took massive amounts of power.  None survived
>> into the 60's.  Motors took humongus power and I2R loss's were
>> ridiculous.
>>
>	I tend to think that small high-rpm motor design has come a long way since
>the 50's. I think some of today's motors might just make it worthwhile on
>medium sized (~2.5liter) engines for low-end torque enhancement.

I worked with 30 - 50 hp motors in the early sixties.  The
only 'advancement' I've seen is using higher temp insulation
on the wires and higher temp capability laminations in the
poles (armature, stator) allowing the motors to be made
smaller and cheaper by the use of smaller gauge wire and
allowing higher operating temps.  There's not much improvement
that's to be expected from something that's already the
most efficient mechanical devices known to man -- on the
order of 70 - 85 %  when you reach 100% you have the long
sought after perpetual motion machine!

Tom Cloud <cloud at peaches.ph.utexas.edu>