Lambda value/ AFR correlation

Tom Cloud cloud at peaches.ph.utexas.edu
Tue May 13 20:44:07 GMT 1997

>> >  This leads to another question. Is the stoich AFR something that varies
>> >according to location? An archived post refered to 14.57:1 being an
>> >Australian

>> stoichiometric is a chemical term meaning that there's
>> exactly enough of each component to complete the reaction.
>> Since the 14.x:1 is about mass, it's got to be fixed, right ??
>
>The exact ratio will vary by the type of fuel, its oxygen content, the
>temperature, etc.

>A better term is "Equivalence Ratio" where an ER of 1 indicates
>stoichiometric and is independent of environmental variables.

I don't want to belabor a point, as this is not one of
those things that rates real high on my interest indicator,
but, if it's really stoichiometry we're talking about,
which involves molar quantities, what does temp have
to do with it -- not being argumentative, really want to
know ?

Tom Cloud <cloud at peaches.ph.utexas.edu>