Lambda value/ AFR correlation

Tom Cloud cloud at peaches.ph.utexas.edu
Tue May 13 21:06:57 GMT 1997

>Tom Cloud wrote:
>> stoichiometric is a chemical term meaning that there's
>> exactly enough of each component to complete the reaction.
>> Since the 14.x:1 is about mass, it's got to be fixed, right ??
>
>  As I understand it, the 14.x:1 is air mass to fuel mass,
>as stated.
>
>  However, the actual variable in my understanding is the
>oxygen and fuel. It is the oxygen in the air that is doing
>the chemical burn. The oxygen is some part of that 14.x, and
>it would follow that that oxygen content is variable.
>
>  I suppose driving in a forest or driving in downtown
>manhatten would change the oxygen content of the air, needing
>more or less air for stoich.
>
>  Of course, I am talking out of my head here, not out of
>any textbook.

I can do that (blow smoke, that is  ;-)  seems we
thrashed this sometime back and someone said that
the percentage O2 content of air varied with altitude,
but only a very small amount.  as someone else wrote,
the chemical make-up of the fuel and, as you wrote,
the actual amount of O2 in the air would determine
the exact value .... seems t'me

Tom Cloud <cloud at peaches.ph.utexas.edu>