Electrical Supercharger

Heath Parker heathp at usouthal.campus.mci.net
Wed May 14 03:14:33 GMT 1997

> Corey L. Cole <corey.l.cole at boeing.com> wrote:
>
> Stephen Dubovsky wrote:
> >
> > At 08:56 AM 5/12/97 -0700, you wrote:
> > >Mind expansion stuff - thought required follows.  Check out
> > >Offys Dual Port 360 deg Manifolds.   Bottom level is heated,
<<<snip>>>

> > Don't the Ferrari's have 2 intake manifolds ...<snip>...to 'tune' the
manifold for
> > RPM (at least at 2 points anyway).
>
> I don't know about Ferrari (wouldn't doubt it), but I know that Ford does
> this with the Windstar and base F-150 V-6.  Split Port induction, they
> call it, and it's got a monster torque increase compared to the previous
> generation of engines...
> --

	Not only does Ford use this on what you mention, but the 32-valve modular
4.6 Mustang Cobra motor uses a second throttle body controlled by the PCM
and opened about 4000rpm???  I am not sure if the second TB is attached to
another plenum or not.

	Chevy has a similar system on the Vortec engines (I'm not sure about the
4.3, but I know it's on the 5.0 and 5.7) to change the manifold from
dual-plane to single plane under hard acceleration or high rpm operation.
It's how they got ~50 more HP from essentially the same engine(s).  That
and the low-cc high-quench area head and piston change.  The engineers are
starting to learn <er, apply> tricks from high-end engine builders . . . :)

				Heath Parker
				heathp at usouthal.campus.mci.net