intake tuning

Jody Shapiro jshapiro at bit-net.com
Wed May 14 17:57:33 GMT 1997

On Wed, 14 May 1997, Todd King wrote:

>   <<<
>   True, but wouldn't the output from a centrifugal supercharger or a turbo
>   be much more turbulent than incoming air in a NA system?
>   >>>

>   I doubt it (intercooled turbo); I'm talking about air that has passed through
>   some piping, through an intercooler, then through more piping and into the
>   throttle body/manifold... How do you relate the turbulence level to the
>   manifold tuning anyway?

I'll admit I'm thinking more of my actual situation - non-intercooled
supercharged V8.  The tubing from the blower output is approx 2ft long.  I
know you come from a turbo background and I'd agree that the air has a
chance to "stabilize" after going through the much longer tubing &
intercooler before it enters the TB.

As for how/why turbulence affects manifold tuning - I dunno;  I'm not an
ME.  I just have a big interest in cars and have taken an ME course in
automotive engineering and read a bunch of engine design books.  I haven't
seen a lot of discussion on manifold design in my books nor here,
nevermind forced-induction manifold design.  In summary - I have no idea.
I would just have though that the air coming out of a blower/turbo would
be fairly turbulent and that could disrupt the resonating column of air...

>   Well for a properly sized turbo combination the full boost comes on at heavy
>   throttle; doesn't have to wait for 6000 rpm!

Arright, so for a centrifugally supercharged application where boost
builds with RPM, now whaddya think?  ;)

-Jody

--
97 Blue Z28 M6 (Memphis #1997)
  Eibach's, !CAGS, !DRL, Crane HI-6, T-Rex, Kenny Brown SFC's,