Cheap Horsepower-Ram air

Heath Parker heathp at usouthal.campus.mci.net
Thu May 15 00:03:57 GMT 1997

	NO, it isn't hype.  For $7 (actual GM Part) I put back the 4" tube
connecting the Quadrajet carb and the factory radiator core support
bevel/intake thingy which I had chopped the front (dust blocker??) off of
<on 84 chevy fullsize pickup>.  Immediate difference in off-idle response,
and seemed a slight bit more responsive at high speeds
(important in block-shaped trucks).  I am sure the change was soley
due to the temperature.  As the tube runs "uphill" to get to
the air filter/carb, water during rains has not been a problem,
even with a paper filter.
Very well spent $7 and 30 minutes.  I am satisfied.

----------
> From: Watson, Bill <Bill.Watson at alliedsignal.com>
> To: diy_efi at coulomb.eng.ohio-state.edu
> Subject: Re: Cheap Horsepower-Ram air
> Date: Wednesday, May 14, 1997 2:13 PM
>

> >So does that mean that those ram air setups from the '60s and '70s
> >(plus that new Firebird with the nostrils) was just hype?
> > -Aron Travis-
> >"always in a automotive frenzy"
>
> No!  Like previous people have said, they did it for TEMPERATURE
> primarily.
> 1% for every 10 degrees F is a pretty good payoff, but 1/2 p V**2 is
> tiny at
> speeds we consider.
>
> bw

				Heath Parker