Home brewed cheap Dyno

Ross Forgione ross at apdata.com.au
Fri May 16 00:50:34 GMT 1997

This is not really a chasis dyno, but I have spoken to a few people who
have found a couple of sites on the Net talking about using "BIG" water
pumps with a gate valve  to create a "Back Pressure" type function. The
Idea is you get the pump, bolt a couple of strain gauages on its base,
connect it to the crank of the engine (create the necessary protection
barriers), close the gate valve to about 98% for  load and away you go.

Once the engine runs, open throttle to max then SLOWLY open gate valve to
bring RPM up and take readings (Strain gauage output v RPM) at appropriate
points.

My questions.

1. Will this WORK ?
2. Is this how non electrical load dynos work ?

Ross