Home brewed cheap Dyno

eric schumacher e.schumacher at postoffice.worldnet.att.net
Sat May 17 00:32:52 GMT 1997

Abput 20 years ago I read an article in a magazine by a couple of Canadian
guys. Back in the good old days when a lot of the articles were reader
written. They built a engine dyno out of a fluid clutch I believe.  I think
these were used on early 50ies Plymoths.  I believe derisively called
slush-O-matic.  I can't remember whether they used atf or water soluble
cutting oil as the loss medium.  They just welded on an in and an out then
thru a radiator and a valve to set torque. Both sides were on pillow blocks
with a torque wrench on the "fixed" end.  I believe they were working with a
2 liter engine.

You used to see lots of Clayton chassis dynos in the Recycler for around 1K,
you could take the cell out of one of those.  At one time I priced a
replacement Clayton cell and I believe they were about $350.