TBI fuel pump

steve ravet steve at sun4c409.imes.com
Thu May 22 14:52:46 GMT 1997

> >I am in the process of swapping an 86 GM TBI system
> >into my 2.8l cherokee engine.
> >
> >I'm trying to find an economical fuel delivery setup
> >and am hoping for some good suggestions from the list!
> >
> >I've read that the GM TBI setup needs somewhere around
> >15psi for proper operation.  So far, all the electric
> >fuel pumps I've found have been 4.5 to ~10 psi (carberator
> >pumps) or very high pressure (read high $$) pumps for MPI
> >setups.  The original pump used in this setup was an in-tank
> >pump and I don't want to mess with that.  It looks like my
> >only option is a high pressure pump with an adjustable external
> >regulator.  This setup will cost me $70 for the regulator + ~$75
> >for the pump.

My '86 S-10 Blazer had the 2.8 liter in it, pump in the gas tank.  I
couldn't find my Blazer book, but the Caprice motor ('91 TBI 350)
that lives in there now runs fine off the S-10 pump, and the Caprice
manual specifies 9-13 psi of fuel pressure.  I'd guess
that all GM TBI engines require this range of fuel pressure.

I would stay away from the in-tank pump, if you replace one of those
you'll understand why.  But, if the in-tank pump is in there and it
works, you might as well use it.

Here's a question I couldn't get answered...  Can you suck fuel
through those GM TBI in-tank pumps?  I didn't take my own advice a
couple years ago when I had to replace the pump in my S-10, I put an
in-tank pump back in.  I would have disconnected it and used an
external pump, but I didn't know if that would work.  Anyone know?

--steve