EFI and Two-Strokes

Ed Mellinger meed at mbari.org
Tue May 27 23:19:36 GMT 1997

Jim Zurlo wrote:

> Ed Mellinger wrote:
>
> >Quite well.  Direct injection (of course, its a Diesel).  Also, on GM
> >diesels at least, separate valves in head allow independent timing of
> >intake/exhaust events.
>
> If you are thinking of Detroit Diesel (formerly owned by GM) 2 strokes then
> the above is incorrect.  They have intake ports and exhaust valves.

Actually, what I wrote is unclear, but not incorrect.  By "separate
valves in head", I meant separate from the *ports*, not from each
other.  Back to Grammar 101 for me!  Regardless, the point is that the
valve timing can be optimized better than in a port-only design.  I
always figured they probably scavenged (or blew down) better than a
port-only design, too, but I've no numbers to back that up.

Ed