Fuel return line

Evert Rosseel Evert.Rosseel at rug.ac.be
Thu May 29 07:40:42 GMT 1997

> I was flipping through some of my older magazines and I came across
> an article about a guy who put a Ford 5.0 EFI engine in his Mustang
> II.  What got me curious is the fact that he did not fabricate a
> typical fuel return line.  His return line, instead of going back to
> the tank, went to some fuel distribution block that also had ports
> for the fuel coming from the tank and going to the engine.  There
> weren't any pictures or more details as far as locations.
>
> Anything inherently wrong with this?  Or is the return line to the
> tank the only way to go?

The problem with this is that the return fuel is relatively hot, as
it was heated by the injection system (fuel is used as a coolant for
some components). Therefore a heat exchanger too cool the fuel is
necessary, otherwise problems with vapor lock are to be expected.

Evert
*    Dr. ir. Evert Rosseel                                             *
*    Laboratory for Machines                                   *
*    Department of Mechanical and Thermal Engineering          *
*    University Gent                                           *
*    Sint-Pietersnieuwstraat 41, 9000 Gent, Belgium            *
*    Tel : ++32 9 264.33.06                                    *
*    Fax : ++32 9 264.35.86                                    *
*    Email : Evert.Rosseel at rug.ac.be                           *
*    WWW : http://allserv.rug.ac.be/~erosseel/motoren.htm      *