Buick 3.8L V6

Roland rschaer at why.net
Fri May 30 02:24:24 GMT 1997

> Roland wrote:
> >
> > Does anyone know where I can get specific information about this
> > engine. Specifically, casting numbers for each year. Also, has anyone
> > attempted to convert an older carburated 3.8 to FI (non-turbo).
> >
> > RTS
>
> Howdy,
>
> If you're looking for specific information about the Buick 3.8 motor, look
> no further than the turbo regal home page:
>
> http://www.gnttype.org/gnttype/www/
>
> As far as converting an older carb's 3.8, well, that's pretty sticky.  The
> firing order changed at some point from an odd fire to an even fire, so
> you need the correct distributor, camshaft, etc (because the ECMs are only
> set up for even fire).
>
> If you're gonna go to FI, why not add in a turbo crank and use the GN turbo
> system?
>
> Later,
>
> Corey L. Cole                                 | Overheard at a party...
>  M/S 19-HH                                   | Peter Grant: Hello, Mr. Dylan, I'm Peter
>  E-mail: corey.l.cole at boeing.com  |  Grant, manager of Led Zepplin.
>  Phone: 206-662-3596                    | Bob Dylan: Hey, I don't come to you with
> 				                      |  my problems.

Corey,

The firing order changed around 78. I'm looking for an 83-86 RWD
version. They seem to have worked out all the bugs by then. If the
turbo FI would work without the turbo, that would be great. The turbo
engine would provide too much HP for the 2500lb TR7 I'm planning on
putting the engine in. I've got the web site in my bookmarks, but it
looks like they are geared towards the turbo's, but they still have
good overall information.

RTS