GM ECU 1227730/47: basic questions

sfg sfgent at ac.net
Wed Nov 5 20:59:14 GMT 1997

Kevin Vannorsdel wrote:

> Another entry level question...
>
> I am wondering why go with a Holley/Howell configuration instead of getting
> something from say- Turbo City (Big TB and a GM computer) that seems cheaper
> and similar in performance (??)   ?
>
> Also- please post what you learn from your questions with Howell (if you don't
> mind).    Thanks!

>   Kevin Vannorsdel     IBM Arm Electronics Development
>     408-256-6492                Tie 276-6492     kv at us.ibm.com
>
> owner-diy_efi at coulomb.eng.ohio-state.edu on 11/05/97 07:14:48 AM
> Please respond to diy_efi at coulomb.eng.ohio-state.edu @ internet
> To: diy_efi at coulomb.eng.ohio-state.edu @ internet
> cc:
> Subject: Re: GM ECU 1227730/47:  basic questions
>
> John Zarli wrote:
> >
> > sfg wrote:

> > > John, what are you using for injection? TBI or port? Enquiring minds
> > > need to know. Also, my GM service parts list (shows all the components
> > > in a matrix for the ZZZ, ZZ1,2,3,&4) lists an intake manifold
> > > (10185063) as "dual bolt pattern" with EGR and applies to ZZ3 and
> > > ZZ4 only. I'll stay tuned....    steve
> > Steve, visit the GMGOODWRENCH website & you can download the GM
> > Performance parts catalog (free). It has a wealth of info. The ZZ4 is a
> > great deal, but as it applies to newer engines...the dual bolt pattern
> > is referring to the carb mounting. The intake manifold has an egr
> > passage but the heads do not (go figure?) Also the head to intake bolts
> > are old style, middle bolts on new manifolds are at a different angle

Kevin,
re my phone call to Howell Engine Developments Inc (810-765-5100) today:
They said:
1. PROM, and Holley 4bbl TB *is* available w/o ECU; $600 for TB and $150
for PROM. (ouch)
2. 215 deg duration, .5" lift cam is max for speed density system
(how does lift enter into this equation????) I didn't ask......
3. adaptor cable: Holley round-to-GM weather pak) is avail.
4. They thought Crane had a good roller cam to  get the 235 deg dur-
ation of the ZZZ engine down to 215 deg. (Crane "CompuCam")
5. 7730  or 7747 ECU both OK to use.
6. use 55 lbs/hr injectors for small block
7. GM ECU drives the 4 Holley injectors directly w/o external stuff

BTW, I later found an article which features the same thing I'm
considering: Holley 4bbl TBI on a GM ZZZ 10134338 crate motor, using a
GM ECU! see "Popular Hotrodding" December, 1993. Article has good
detail.

Holley 4bbl TBI vs Edelbrock #3502 port injection:

I also visited the Summitt Racing (Akron, OH) retail store and put the
Holley 4bbl under scrutiny. The Edelbrock p/n 3502 was not in stock so
I couldn't see it.
the Holley TBI:
1. TPS is p/n 219R32A looks same as GM, w/weather pak connector
2. IAC is p/n 53030657 (a GM #???)
3. TB has built in thermistor (mounted in heat shrink)
4. has 3 vacuum ports: spark, full, and PCV
5. Holley ECU uses EEROM (if anyone is interested)
6. 3 CFMs avail: 650, 700, 900 (use the 900 on ZZZ??)
7. "fuel pressure: 15 psi" so said the flyer

the cost of the Howell stuff would be close to the Edelbrock #3502 PFI
system! Decisions decisions....!
Steve