GM ECU 1227730/47: basic questions

sfg sfgent at ac.net
Thu Nov 6 00:06:20 GMT 1997

Kevin Vannorsdel wrote:

> Steve-  Thanks for the info!
>
> If the Howell setup is that much...  why would you not want to investigate
> getting the whole thing (computer and all) from Holley?    In other words-
> what does the Howell setup offer over going all Holley  (besides being less DIY
> (grin))?  Maybe I better read that article!
>
> The Edelbrock system is tempting-  I agree!    I am still investigating options
> available from Turbo City for my K5 Blaze.

>   Kevin Vannorsdel     IBM Arm Electronics Development
>     408-256-6492                Tie 276-6492     kv at us.ibm.com
>
> owner-diy_efi at coulomb.eng.ohio-state.edu on 11/05/97 02:02:21 PM
> Please respond to diy_efi at coulomb.eng.ohio-state.edu
> To: diy_efi at coulomb.eng.ohio-state.edu
> cc:
> Subject: Re: GM ECU 1227730/47: basic questions
>
> Kevin Vannorsdel wrote:
> >
> > Another entry level question...
> >
> > I am wondering why go with a Holley/Howell configuration instead of getting
> > something from say- Turbo City (Big TB and a GM computer) that seems cheaper
> > and similar in performance (??)   ?
> >
> > Also- please post what you learn from your questions with Howell (if you don't
> > mind).    Thanks!

> >   Kevin Vannorsdel     IBM Arm Electronics Development
> >     408-256-6492                Tie 276-6492     kv at us.ibm.com
> >
> > owner-diy_efi at coulomb.eng.ohio-state.edu on 11/05/97 07:14:48 AM
> > Please respond to diy_efi at coulomb.eng.ohio-state.edu @ internet
> > To: diy_efi at coulomb.eng.ohio-state.edu @ internet
> > cc:
> > Subject: Re: GM ECU 1227730/47:  basic questions
> >
> > John Zarli wrote:

> camshaft)?
> answers
> > > Steve, visit the GMGOODWRENCH website & you can download the GM
> > > Performance parts catalog (free). It has a wealth of info. The ZZ4 is a
> > > great deal, but as it applies to newer engines...the dual bolt pattern
> > > is referring to the carb mounting. The intake manifold has an egr
> > > passage but the heads do not (go figure?) Also the head to intake bolts
> > > are old style, middle bolts on new manifolds are at a different angle
>
> Kevin,
> re my phone call to Howell Engine Developments Inc (810-765-5100) today:
> They said:
> 1. PROM, and Holley 4bbl TB *is* available w/o ECU; $600 for TB and $150
> for PROM. (ouch)
> 2. 215 deg duration, .5" lift cam is max for speed density system
> (how does lift enter into this equation????) I didn't ask......
> 3. adaptor cable: Holley round-to-GM weather pak) is avail.
> 4. They thought Crane had a good roller cam to  get the 235 deg dur-
> ation of the ZZZ engine down to 215 deg. (Crane "CompuCam")
> 5. 7730  or 7747 ECU both OK to use.
> 6. use 55 lbs/hr injectors for small block
> 7. GM ECU drives the 4 Holley injectors directly w/o external stuff
>
> BTW, I later found an article which features the same thing I'm
> [...]
Kevin,
The MOST important thing to me is reliability. Therefore, GM ECU and
no other. Aftermarket companies do not have the resources to pour
the R&D into an ECU like GM has. There is a great deal of engineering
that goes into an electronic device which can withstand the temperature
variations, electrical transients, vibration, and miscellaneous abuses
(like booster cables!) that an ECU is normally exposed to. It also
takes evolution to arrive at a venerable design. None of the
aftermarket products have arrived at this point, IMHO. Plus, OEM ECUs
are cheap from the wrecking yard! I'd consider the Edelbrock system
because it uses OEM ECU *and* OEM TB on a PFI set up. Steve