Add Turbo to late model V8

Frederic Breitwieser frederic.breitwieser at mcione.com
Thu Nov 6 15:41:14 GMT 1997

>I have a '95 Chevy Impala SS and I am interested in adding a turbocharger.

Good choice in vehicle.  Ultimate sleeper :)  I'm a big "not what it looks
like" fan.

> That's easy enough, but I need to be able to manage fuel.  I can use an
>FMU, but that's not very efficient and is nearly impossible to tune
>properly.  I'm thinking that I'd like to do this through the stock PCM, but

If you keep the boost under reasonable levels, say 6psi or so, as most of
the Paxton/Procharger supercharger kits do, you could bolt on a suitable
turbo with the appropriate wastegate set for that setting, and probably not
have to modify your ECM or sensors.  This is a reasonably educated guess,
but not necessarily a fact.

>RPM and hopefully MAF & O2 inputs.  Based on their readings, I would
>deliver a given amount of fuel by modifying injector pulse width.  The
>system would probably be boost activated.

The problem I see with injecting fuel into the airstream of the newer style
manifolds is they are designed to be a dry system, whereby the fuel is
injected immediately above the valve.  There could be small surging and/or
fuel pooling issues depending on the manifold design.  Liquids move
differently than gases.

If you are in a try-and-see mood, you might be able to step up your
injectors a size or two, to compensate for some of the boost, but as you
know, its better to run rich than lean from an engine-survival point of
view.  Watch the O2 sensors carefully.

>I know that Carrol Supercharging and Paxton offer a similar setup, but they
>want something near $1,000 for their solution.

A Grand?  In that price range, you might consider an Electromotive Tec II
setup, its somewhere around there (1300?) for a V8.  Of course, its all-out
race rather than into managing charcol canister purge valves :)

Frederic Breitwieser
Homebrew Automotive Mailing List
Bridgeport, CT 06606
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Downs/4605/index.html
1989 AG Hummer 4-Door
1993 Supercharged Lincoln Continental
2000 Mid-Engine Sports Car <smile>

Seeking Info on: GM Tubular Upper and Lower A-Arms

---