Knock Detection

Gary Derian gderian at cybergate.net
Thu Nov 6 19:31:33 GMT 1997

To my knowledge, when a spark ignites a compressed fuel air mixture, a flame
front moves across the chamber.  Behind the front is burned gases, In front
of the front is unburned gases.  The pressure is the same throughout the
chamber.  As the front progresses, the pressure rises.  If the flame front
gets to the end, everything is OK and the chamber is filled with very high
pressure gas which pushes the piston.  But if the temperature of the
unburned gases rises above the autoignition temperature of the fuel the
remaining unburned gases will spontaneously explode before the flame front
gets there.  This is detonation.  The explosion causes the combustion
chamber to "ring" like a piece of metal struck with a hammer.

High octane fuel is hard to ignite and therefore resists this autoignition.
Too much compression and/or too much spark advanve will cause detonation.  A
poorly shaped combustion chamber which takes too long to burn or low
tubulence or no quench area or other not easily adjustable factors also
affect the propensity to detonate.

Pre-ignition is when something glowing in the combustion chamber ignites a
flame front before the spark.  This has an effect similar to too much
advance and can lead to detonation.

Gary Derian >gderian at cybergate.net>