GM electronic keys

Terry Martin terry_martin at mindlink.bc.ca
Fri Nov 7 03:52:05 GMT 1997

Craig Pugsley wrote:

> My car (1995 Holden commodore (australia) w/ derivitive of buick 3.8v6 and GM p4
> ecu) has this feature installed and I was wondering what I had to do to
> make a spare key for it, as the factory key has a whopping great remote
> entry transmitter as part of it (like 1.5 inches wide x 2 inches long).

Now you've come up with something that sounds like a battery equipped
LED for keyway illumination at night. If you have any imaging capability
I'd love a photo. I suppose it could be just a remote transmitter for
the UTD, in which case it will only affect your cranking circuit. If you
don't have power door locks, it ain't likley that either.

I've specialized as an expert in vehicle anti-theft systems for 6 years,
and have run across some weird crap, but anything this big sounds like
an analalog after-market gizzmo. 1.5"X 2" in '95 is enough room to put
the micro for the VCM in. It's too big. They do make after-market snap
on devices which contain batteries for LED power as indicated above.

Terry