Volvo S80 OBD II encounter

Joe Boucher BoucherJC at lmtas.lmco.com
Thu Nov 13 17:21:46 GMT 1997

Went on a business trip this week and lucked out and received a '97
Volvo S80 instead of a Taurus.  Yee Haw!

I know of a great twisty road in this town where I worked out a Maxima
SE on a previous trip.  Took the Volvo there.  While playing with the
shifter, I think I overreved it.  Ooops.  Didn't mean to do that.

Uh, oh.  The check engine light is on.  I was due at the airport soon
and a needed to get a bite to eat first.  While in the sandwich shop I
thought about how to get that light off.  Didn't have tools to
disconnect the battery.  Turning off the car didn't cancel the light.

OH!!  The fuse box!  And look, there is actually a owner's manual in the
glove box.  Mmmm, fuse panel under hood.  Fuse number xx controls ECU
and enviromental controls.  Pull fuse, count to 30, replace fuse, start
car. No light!! Great!  Drive to the airport and jump in the aircraft.

I didn't mean to do something distructive.  I don't think I did.  But I
did discover that OBD II is not invincible as a watch dog.  I kept
invisioning a phone call from the rental car company asking why the OBD
II diagnostic read out showed the engine RPM's hitting 8k.  (The read
line was 7K and I don't think if I did red line it it wasn't much over.)

And I do feel guilty.

Joe Boucher
'70 RS/SS Camaro  '81 TBI Suburban