Turbo Suzuki

jb24 at chrysler.com jb24 at chrysler.com
Fri Nov 14 22:11:03 GMT 1997

> Actually, that Aerocharger is designed for minimal lag.  It is a
> Variable Nozzle Turbine turbocharger with ball bearings.  Only issue
is
> you need a controller channel to control those variable vanes.  Tec-II
> has a spare channel for a waste-gate solenoid, but I am not sure of
> what logic is needed to get a solenoid to perform in an analog
fashion,
> or even in a staged fashion.  Anybody else have input on how to do
> this?  I am thinking a little box independent of an EFI controller
> could handle this - varying position with MAP.
>
> John Bucknell is jb24 at chrysler.com

Actually, a little thinking got me here:

Suppose we get a longish-stroke dashpot hooked up to our Aerocharger
vane actuation rod.  The dashpot is plumbed to manifold pressure on one
side and a vacuum-and-a-spring on the other (just like waste-gate
actuators).  I bet with a little fiddling in spring rate and preload
that turbine could be kept spooled up (or close to it) - less than
atmospheric would keep nozzles an minimum area and then at some given
greater manifold pressure (the preload) the nozzles would open linearly
with rising pressure.  Now the actual waste-gate function would be
driven by getting a solenoid in the manifold-pressure line and bleeding
air when a certain pressure is reached, holding or closing a nozzle
area.  I bet there would be a little lag in that system, so peak
manifold pressure would oscillate some.  The electronics end of it
would allow higher pressures at lower rpm so the max bmep could be held
from tickover to redline.  Can you say flat torque curve, at any
throttle position?  I am all for that.

Any feedback?
John Bucknell is jb24 at chrysler.com