Water Brake?

Garfield garfield at pilgrimhouse.com
Tue Nov 18 19:48:52 GMT 1997

Well, while we're on a roll, here: I looked in the archives and found
only a short, inconclusive discussion once about building one's own
WATER BRAKE for the heart a homebuilt dyno.

Most of my testing will be on a torqueNthrust stand (just about
completed) with the varying load coming from a pitch-adjustable prop
(application is aircraft-auto engines, anyway), but I thot it might be
good to explore just how hard if would be to also build a decent
water-loading device. (Mech. friction brake ideas need NOT apply, thank
you....choosy beggar, ain't I, heh.)

Soooo, anyone seen a set of working plans for a water brake that can
consume up to say 400HP at peak (actually if I was limited to 300HP, it
would be OK for my engines' ranges). I'm not talking about something
elaborate that can be run for extended periods of time, just somethin to
run a torque curve off of for say 5 mins max. (A small doughboy for the
water reservoir would be acceptable). I'm not concerned about the water
COOLING problem, OK, just the load device.

Any leads most appreciated.

Garfield