Water Brake?

Clare Snyder clsnyde at ibm.net
Wed Nov 19 02:45:10 GMT 1997

Frederic Breitwieser wrote:

> >run a torque curve off of for say 5 mins max. (A small doughboy for the
> >water reservoir would be acceptable). I'm not concerned about the water
> >COOLING problem, OK, just the load device.
>
> I don't have a specific lead for you, however I can say building one is
> very easy.  VERY easy.  Its the associated math that's presents a complex
> issue.
>
> Basically, you run the engine at controlled conditions (air, humidity,
> etc), or be able to accurately measure these conditions (easier), and
> include them in the math formulas.
>
> The engine's flywheel or output shaft attaches to a large water pump, which
> then circulates a hydraulic fluid (water) through a circular tube, input to
> output, with a valve in the center of said loop.
>
> By measuring the diameter of the tubes, the restriction of the valve based
> on position, and the water pressure before/after the valve as it places
> flow restrictions, the rest can be calculated.
>
> My problem is the math escapes me... if anyone has attempted to do so, I
> for one would be interested in participating in a topic such as this,
> offline if it disturbs the list.
>
> I have this water pump...

It is really quite simple - no fancy math required. All you do is mount
the pump on a swivel at the drive centerline and use a reaction arm and
load cell to determine torque. The load cell can be Garfield's air cyl
device used to measure prop load - connected to his engine stand OR to
the water pump frame. Measure torque in ft lbs and apply formula.
--
                             _/\_

Remove the R from E-Mail Address to reply. Stop the spammers!!!
It's hard to soar like an eagle when your stuck with a bunch of
Turkeys