Water Brake?

Clare Snyder clsnyde at ibm.net
Wed Nov 19 22:49:31 GMT 1997

Dave Williams wrote:

> -> but hot-rod magazines offer on-car dyno's which are torque load cells
> -> which are mounted on prop-shafts which could easily adapted to your
>
>  Superflow uses a tension-type load cell and the absorber is free to
> rotate against its resistance.  I've seen load cells in that range for
> $150 or so.
>
>  Clayton uses a calibrated spring with a linear potentiometer; the
> absorber is also free to rotate.
>
>  Electric dynos are supposed to tell by looking at the eddy current, or
> something.  I've never found out a whole lot about those.
>
>  The inline torque load cells you mentioned are probably the most
> expensive way, but I can't think of anything else offhand that'd work
> with a prop dyno.

If the prop dyno is used on a test stand, it is a simple matter ro use a
reaction arm (like a torque wrench) with the engine mount able to rotate
about the prop axis.The simple way to measure the torque is with a 1 sq
in air or hydraulic cyl on a 12" reaction arm with a pressure gauge
calibrated in PSI. The guage reading will be ft/lb torque. Then all you
need is a tach and a calculator.

--
                             _/\_

Remove the R from E-Mail Address to reply. Stop the spammers!!!
It's hard to soar like an eagle when your stuck with a bunch of
Turkeys