"Pink" versus PM rods

Jim Davies jimd at vcc.bc.ca
Sat Nov 22 02:12:52 GMT 1997

On Fri, 21 Nov 1997, Joe Boucher wrote:

> If these rods are porous, I wonder how much weight it will pick up after
> soaking in the oil?  Maybe a few grams, I would bet.

Scintered metal porosity is controllable. Oilite, the first such product
was porous, to hold oil. Rochester fuel filters were similar, but more
porous to permit fuel flow thru them. Other common Scintered products
include cam drive gears on many engines and synchronizer hubs in manual
transmissions/transaxles. None of these absorb oil, and neither do any of
the conrods I have seen.

Jim Davies