4-cyl HEI in GM Autos?

Clare Snyder clsnyde at ibm.net
Thu Nov 27 03:31:32 GMT 1997

Garfield wrote:

> On Wed, 26 Nov 1997 08:06:44 -1000, Shannen Durphey <shannen at mcn.net>
> wrote:
>
> >1983 Pontiac Phoenix, 2.5l, efi
> >1982 Chev Cavalier, 1,8l, efi
> >1982 Pontiac Sunbird, 1.8l OHC, efi
> >
> >All three engine families are different.
> >Later year distributors from same family will work.
> >However, module advance is all or none around 2000 RPM, around 20 deg,
>
> Actually, even THAT might do in the application I've in mind, but is
> that 20 deg of ADDITIONAL advance or 20 total, with say 8deg static? Do
> you remember? Thanks for the leads above, BTW. What I'm really hoping to
> find is a 4-cyl module that DOES have a simple advance ramp internal,
> but if that's unobtainium, a fixed amount, well above idle might do in a
> pinch. Thanks again. Anybody else?
>
> Garfield
Hey gar, there is another way round all this, but a bit of work. Get an
8 cyl HEI dizzy and grind every second tip from the reluctor. Fill every
second hole in the cap with epoxy - and just make sure you fill the
right half. Machine the case to fit the (soob) application and install
the proper drive gear. This way you can use an early Mech advance HEI
system and not worry about the advance curve - just change weights and
springs till you get it right!! It is a bit fat, but if you are using an
offset psru the hight is not a real problem. Use coil in cap or
aftermarket remote coil system.
--
                             _/\_

Remove the R from E-Mail Address to reply. Stop the spammers!!!
It's hard to soar like an eagle when your stuck with a bunch of
Turkeys