Optimizing your TB/Air Filter

bruce plecan nacelp at bright.net
Sat Nov 29 17:51:44 GMT 1997

What I have found to work for me is the following:
  Using a new filter, accurately base line test the vehicle
     as is.  Using at least a stop watch, and certain part
     of road.
  Try repeating the above, with no air filter.
  Locate a duplicate filter housing, and perferate it with
     a bunch of 1.25" holes, so the filter is very exposed.
  In some cases, like in the 4 stock 87-90 GM Pickups, I
     tried this with, it was always fastest with the stock
     filter, and housing.
  However, with a cam change, using a regular aftermarket
     14" filter housing with in some cases, a 2.25 tall
     K+N was best.  Even using a 3" element slowed it down.
  If it is quickest with min. filtering then I would consider
     using larger butterflies.
  If it slows down with the larger butterflies, then just
     go to a more restrictive air filter housing.
  Once you have the above worked out, then play with fuel
     pressure, and possibly larger injectors.
  Then repeat the initial filter housing tests.
The Ultimate Rule for Filters, Butterflies, Injectors is
using the smallest, consistant with the best results.
Intake Tract air noise has nothing to do with performance,
and can be very misleading thou on some cars the song is
neat sounding.  Before going final, check to see that there
aren't any weird part throttle problems.
The above is for off road use-