4-cyl HEI in GM Autos?

Clare Snyder clsnyde at ibm.net
Sat Nov 29 20:18:35 GMT 1997

Garfield wrote:

> On Sat, 29 Nov 1997 12:32:33 -0500, Clare Snyder <clsnyde at ibm.net>
> wrote:
>
> >It's official!
> >
> >The same module is used on 4,6,and 8 cyl vehicles. Echlin/Napa part#
> >TP25 fits the following, and mabee more:
> >92 spectrum 1.5L
> >86 Cavalier 2.0L
> >86-90 Caprice 4.3L
> >86-88 MonteCarlo 4.3L
> >1990 Caprice 5.7 pursuit
> >1989 Caprice 5.7
> >88-89 Camaro 5.7
> >87-88 MOST 5.0L
> >
> >TP22 fits the following:
> >83 Cavalier 2.0L
> >90-92 Camaro 3.1L
> >88-89 Camaro 2.8L
> > etc
> >

> >I'm not going to say "I told you so", or rub your face in it or anything
> >:} Just go for it!!!!
>
> Uh, huh. Yeah, far be it from YOU, Clare, to say "I toldya so". Hee.
>
> OK, OK, I stand humbly corrected/whipped/humiliated.
>
> Thanks for the Napa/Echlin numbers. I recognize them better than GM
> numbers (too many digits for me brain). As an aside, do you know of any
> diff. between the TP22 and 25? I'm looking at them both in my Echlin
> book, and I'd guess there's some Electrical diff. since they both have
> the same packaging reference.
>
> Just to sneak my previous reasoning back into the
> discussion/argument/armwrestling, since the module is used on a 4 and an
> 8, and kicks in some advance above high idle, the AMOUNT of advance
> observed and WHEN (rpm) it kicks in is gonna be way diff., unless the
> module is clairvoyant or can just "feel" the number of cyls. Heh. That's
> why I conjectured/pontificated that they just *couldn't* be used on any
> ole #ofCyls. But hey, who am I to argue with the Parts Book, eh? Some
> times "science" just fails us. Sigh.
>
> Garfield

You got my answer on that one already, Gar. IF it works the way I
described it, it does not need to know how many cyls  there are, and
from what I have heard, you can use the unit on a one lunger with the
same results as on an eight. Use 4 on your 4 cyl for DIS.
Again, I may be wrong, but I'm batting 100 so far :}
--
                             _/\_

Remove the R from E-Mail Address to reply. Stop the spammers!!!
It's hard to soar like an eagle when your stuck with a bunch of
Turkeys