alternative fuel/stupid idea?

Chris Morriss crsm at oroboros.demon.co.uk
Sun Nov 30 19:32:00 GMT 1997

In message <347E7317.8A3CAF71 at mcn.net>, Shannen Durphey
<shannen at mcn.net> writes

>Jim Davies wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 28 Nov 1997, Craig Pugsley wrote:
>>
>> > Hi there,
>> > I had a flash of inspiration last night..
>> > What would happen if you tried to run an engine on an oxy-acetylene mix?
>> > Instant detonation/preignition due to volatility? Or mondo power?
>> >
>> Been there, done that. Adjust for neutral flame, extinguish torch and
>> insert in carb...WOT revs picked up several thousand and knock was
>> noticeable. It was pretty entertaining while it lasted, though.
>>
>> Jim Davies
>
>I've dumped straight oxy into a flooded engine so it would fire.  After the
>rattling ended, it ran fine. Acetelyne, BTW, has no octane.  I read that N.
>Tesla was working on a multi stage device to compress oxygen from air thereby
>improving combustion efficiency.  'Course he also claimed to have a working
>death ray...  Shannen

Among many other odd similar ideas going about, a nunber of people claim
that the addition of a stochiometric hydrogen-oxygen mix produced by
real-time electrolysis of water works wonders when added to the normal
intake air.
I'm tempted to build a big electrolyser to try it out, anybody heard
anything about this?
--
Chris Morriss