Webb cwebb at polarnet.com
Wed Oct 1 00:59:08 GMT 1997

Joe - EFI can work on a 2 stroke - but forget the O2 sensor. Use
an open loop system like the Polaris snowmobile line uses. For
max power you probably want to run a little rich anyway.

The reason  the Ox sensor won't work is that the air fuel mixture
is not kept out of the exhaust system. In fact, that is the
purpose of the expansion chamber, instead of a standard muffler.

An expansion chamber uses the shock wave in the gasses coming
through the exhaust tube to turn the last bit around and compress
it back into the cylinder just before the piston closes the port.

Result - the air fuel mixture spends some time in the exhaust
system before being compressed back into the chamber. That would
confuse the hell out of any O2 sensor there.

The system gets a 30% increase (according to one book) in power
out of this "reverse turbo" trick. I don't know if oil in the
fuel would kill an O2 sensor or not, but every system I know of
uses the thing open loop, because of the "raw mixture in the
exhaust" situation.