TBI to MPFI

Curtis L. Martin cmartin at america.com
Wed Oct 1 12:01:54 GMT 1997

> I have a '88 S10 2.8L I would like to try
> to convert to 3.1L MPFI How hard would that
> be?

Not hard.  Swipe the wiring harness, ECM, and MPFI gear from any 1985-92
F-Body (Camaro/Firebird).  It will mate up with a 3.1L long block.  The
2.8L/3.1L/3.4L  Rear Wheel Drive motors are pretty much identical, so
getting it in the S-10 should be a drop in fit.

Beware of the Front Wheel Drive V6, such as the GenII motors.. the block
casting is different..motor mounts and starter mounts are in the wrong
place on these motors for RWD use.

Don't forget the in-tank fuel pump!  The MPFI runs at the same injector
rail pressures as the TPI.. about 35-45psi.  If your S-10 is Carb or TBI,
you will need the different fuel pump.

Curt Martin (cmartin at america.com)
Ormond Beach, FL
http://www.america.com/~cmartin
'87 350 TPI Camaro (used to be a 2.8L MPFI V6)
'94 3.4L SFI V6 Camaro