Ford crank timing pickup

Tom Cloud cloud at peaches.ph.utexas.edu
Wed Oct 1 18:16:14 GMT 1997

I really need to know what the pickup is on my '82 Bronco (351W).

The output from it, measuring with an oscilloscope and without
the computer connected to it, is a unipolar pulse -- i.e. it
only goes in one direction.  It only has two wires (well, a third
that's connected to ground) so this indicates to me that it's either a
coil with an integral clamping diode (why?) or is a little more
sophisticated, like maybe a hall circuit driven by a resistor or a
constant current with the voltage change across it being used as the
output ????

Anyone here know??

Anyone that would be kind enough to forward to the fordnatics or
other list?

I need to be able to use this pulse to drive a timing circuit.
Would also like to know how to properly set the pickup (I'm
guessing that it's set with the pickup directly over the tooth
but it might require some offset one way or the other ??? )

thanks,
Tom Cloud

      Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids!