DIY_EFI Digest V2 #345

talltom at espace.dcl.com talltom at espace.dcl.com
Fri Oct 3 11:05:34 GMT 1997

When are those #'s from.  If they are pre-'73 they are gross HP numbers,
after '72 are net HP #'s...BIG (yellin real loud!!!)...as I was sayin, BI=
DIFFERENCE.
10 to 1 that jag motor has more power and freer reving, and in CA you can=
use the 455 legally anyway

                                                Karl Streich
                                                Just my $0.02

I'll agree to the BIG YELLIN DIFFERENCE, but in favor of the olds.

Have you actually driven both? I find it hard to imagine that
anyone that had driven both could have any doubt.

Specifically I'm comparing a 78 olds delta 88 with a puked diesel
replaced by a tired late 60's early 70's 455. It was so tired that
during hot weather you had to idle it up to maintain oil pressure.
It would also(with 2.37 butt gears and single exhaust) fry the
tires so bad you could drive it what seemed like indefinitely sideways.
(Driving sideways is a lot more fun than straight:-) While I never had
it up to top speed and speedo only went to 85, I suspect it was capable
of 150-160 mph.

  The v-12 I'm comparing to is a 84 xjs. It has a little bit of muscle off the line, but is pretty much gutless from there on far as I can see. Never
drove it on freeway though, didn't see the point.

To me there's absolutely no comparison.
If you're devoted to british stuff though, I will admit that the jag
has a better frame/suspension layout.

One thing they had in common - both had factory gm tranny's. The jag a
400, the olds a 200!:-)