Closed/Open Loop

Michael Skolones michaels at telerobot.com
Fri Oct 3 23:59:40 GMT 1997

--IMA.Boundary.631329578

My Volvo LH-Jet runs in open loop only when the engine is cold (i.e., before the
O2 sensor warms up sufficiently to operate) and when the throttle is wide open.
All other operating conditions are closed-loop.  I doubt that it varies much by
manufacturer, but closed/open considerations probably vary by system type (i.e.,
Bosch LH Jetronic vs D-Jetronic vs GM TBI vs modern sequential GM vs Holley
Pro-Jection, etc).  I think the open-loop mode probably uses a stored "fuel map"
on most systems, though it might be a pretty crude map on some older systems.

Regarding the O2 sensor, the signal on my LH-Jet varies from low to high with a
period of about a half-second at idle; though the ECM might be reading the O2
signal more frequently than this, at least the correction occurs at this rate.

I'm not sure what you mean by "everything possible".  The ECM is designed to
modify the fuel injection pulse width and/or frequency in response to inputs
from the throttle position, temperature, air flow or manifold pressure, exhaust
O2, etc.  It is quite easy to overwhelm the ECM by unplugging a vacuum line or
inducing some other fault.

Mike Skolones