Jag V12 ECU Mods

John Napoli jgn at li.net
Sat Oct 4 01:36:17 GMT 1997

On Fri, 3 Oct 1997, Frederic Breitwieser wrote:

> Jag as 12 cylinders :)
>
> If it fires two at a time, 12/2=6 you can use a 6 cyl ECM.
> If it fires three at a time, 12/3=4 you can use a 4 cyl ECM.
> If it fires four at a time (wow!) 12/4=3, you need to heavily modify a
> Suzuki Sprint 3 cyl ECM to do the job :)
>
> I will be honest... I guessed using the simple division above... do you
> know exactly how it fires off the cylinders?  Two or three at a time?

I think it fires one bank at a time.  Six and six, four groups of three.
The Jag ECU was presumably modified from one of their six cylinder
jobbies.

> >I have heard horror stories about their stuff and in any case would prefer
> >a junkyard source for the core stuff I would need.
>
> Well, Electromotive is good stuff, so is Haltech (no flame wars please),
> though its been my experience that some of the techs at Electromotive are
> condescending towards their customers (at least me, and I haven't bought
> anything yet).
>
> The problem with Junkyard stuff is its geared for a specific engine/car
> more or less, and converting it for a unique application as you desire,
> will require a lot of research and reverse engineering.  its not as simple
> as slapping on dual injectors and some wire splices.  The
> Haltech/Electromotive products attach to a laptop and give the user
> significantly more control/flexibility of what size injector, boost
> pressure, etc.

I was under the impression that there was aftermarket stuff you can lay on
top of certain stock ECUs to get that kind of control.  Or I can call a
chip maker, extraapolate what I need, and burn one up.  Quite frankly, I
also suspect that something like a GM V6 unit is close enough to what
one-half of my V12 is to do just fine out of the box.

> >Hi, Fred, how's your project doing?
>
> Well John, the parts are scattered all over the garage floor, as I haven't
> received my welder yet.  I get one when I quite smoking.  So that was the
> deal.  And I still need to make the adaptor between the GM engine and the
> Audi transaxle, and from there I'm going to fly forward.

Didn't realize you were across the pond from me.  I'm a stone's throw from
Port Jeff.  I take the ferry every so often; maaybe we can hook up.

John