Jag V12 ECU Mods

Clare Snyder clsnyde at ibm.net
Sun Oct 5 00:05:49 GMT 1997

>On Fri, 3 Oct 1997, John Napoli wrote:
>
>>                                        Quite frankly, I
>> also suspect that something like a GM V6 unit is close enough to what
>> one-half of my V12 is to do just fine out of the box.
>
>Why would you think so?
>
>[I'm bewildered why anyone would think that a transplant from one
>entirely different engine to another would do anything more than
>maybe function.  To use a different control system as a base for
>an extensive development program might be interesting. It won't be
>cheap. And it may not be fast, at least for a while. Or it might be
>fast, but not for long. How many [V12's] you got?]
>

>				--Carter

 Hey, it's been done for years with carburetors - why not with injection?An
engine of X cubic inches displacement, putting out Y horsepower at Z RPM is
going to use very close to what a similar engine in size and horsepower will
use, fuel quantity and mixture wise. Sure, there may be some differences,
but some minor tuning will, in most cases,give a quite acceptable operation.
Diddle a bit with fuel pressure, possibly injector size (very unlikely) and
voila!!.
Anything is liable to be better and more reliable than what he's got.
With a speed density system, to modify operation only 2 gross inputs are
used, MAP and temperature, along with throttle position. With a bit of
op-amp wizzardry you can make any of these sensors output to the ECU
anything you want them to.
This gets you real close, and if you can reprogram the prom you can put it
spot on - asuming you have a dyno and everything else required to do the
same with a carbed engine.