GM speed sensors & ECM suggestions

Michael Baxter 74172.1164 at compuserve.com
Sun Oct 5 19:30:06 GMT 1997

I'm building a sequential port AMC 401. I've ransacked the aftermarket looking
for an ECU that meets the requirements and come-up empty handed. Well, except
for a $6,000 box from EFI Technologies :-o.

 After learning about the CarPROM software from Arizona Speed & Marine, I'm
looking long & hard a using a GM ECM and recalibrating the data maps to the
requirements of my 401. There are certainly some models of the GM computers
that do everything I need. The problem is finding the right ECM and adapting
as much of the GM system as I can.

 The 1st things that scares me are the vehicle speed sensor and the engine
speed sensor & position sensor. I would appreciate any input/insight into
these obstacles like whether they use a magnetic missing tooth or hall effect
set-up, etc.

 Does anyone have a suggestion for a particular GM ECM that would work in this
application? Or any references available that might help me choose the right
one? Below is a list of requirements for this injection system.

 -8 injector drivers for sequential injection
 -Speed-density system (saves me the hassle of fabricating a tight intake &
MAF upstream of the air door.
 -Ability to interface with a GM transmission control module (I'll be using a
4L60E behind the engine)
 -Can't be an EEPROM type GM ECM since the CarPROM software can't handle those
boxes.
 -Knock sensor inputs (I think GM calls it ESC) since this engine will be 10
to 1 CR
 - And all the other stuff that should be a gimme on a GM box like Idle air
control, EGR control, canister purge control & cruise control servo control.

 -- Michael Baxter, 74172.1164 at Compuserve.com
 http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/MBaxter
 From Reno, NV USA on 05-Oct-1997 at 12:24:29 PDT

!^NavFont01F0006MGHHLUA19D