Turbo control in a GM ECM

avos at cochlear.com.au avos at cochlear.com.au
Mon Oct 6 22:12:50 GMT 1997

     The solenoid sits in the line between the manifold (or possibly before
     the throttle butterfly/intercooler) and the wastegate. When the
     solenoid is open minimum boost is run as the wastegate is opened due
     to the boost getting to it. When the solenoid is closed, no boost gets
     to the wastegate, and it stays closed, so maximum boost is run. The
     question is - Is the solenoid normally open or normally closed. My
     guess is normally open, and therefore is something goes wrong boost
     should be minimum. The ECM probably had two aims in controlling boost,
     the first is obvious, which is to maintain the set boost level as
     accurately as possible, the second is to maximise boost at low revs.
     The method of maximising boost at low revs is to leave the wastegate
     closed until the last possible moment when it needs to open to control
     boost. This is probably why the output is grounded most of the time.
     This way the wastegate can't open and boost is maximised. This output
     will probably be high % grounded until about 75% of full boost is
     reached, as this will close the wastegate until close to full boost is
     reached therefore maximising the boost at low revs. If this wasn't
     done, the pressure to the wastegate would open it well before max
     boost is reached which is a waste. Look up some of the posts on
     electronic boost controller for the theory behind this.

     Adrian Vos
     avos at cochlear.com.au