Turbo control in a GM ECM

Shannen Durphey shannen at mcn.net
Tue Oct 7 04:32:20 GMT 1997

----------

> Shannen Durphey <shannen at mcn.net> wrote:
> >What did this ECM come out of?
>
> The version with the extra (wastegate?) PWM output is from a 1985 Pontiac
> Fiero with the 2.8 MPFI V6.

Turbocharged?? I coulda' been a contender.

> >The turbocharged diesels with efi (94-current 6.5) use a pwm control to
> >a solenoid in the vacuum line to the wastegate.
>
> Vacuum?  Vacuum?  During turbo boost?  :-)

Yup.  Diesels have no natural vacuum.  GM uses a pump on the front to
supply it to the wastegate sol.

> >Boost is measured by a map sensor.
>
> Yup.  And it also "runs" the engine.

Not on this app.  TPS is in gas pedal (Accelerator Pedal Position), no
throttle cable, stepper motor operates injection pump, fuel is delivered
based on APP and RPM.

> >No ground for the solenoid results in vacuum vented to atmosphere and no
> >boost.  Any trouble and the ECM pulls the plug on boost.
>
> This seems to match the logic in the function.
>
> >I don't know why the solenoid would
> >ever be fully grounded, the pickup never goes over 90% on time.
>
> It looks like the function will ground the output 99.9% when there is no
> boost.  I haven't figured out the logic enough to say what range of
computed
> values it will produce.
>
>                    unsigned long BinToBCD(unsigned long i) {unsigned long
t;
> Ludis Langens         return i ? (t = BinToBCD(i >> 1), (t << 1) + (i &
1) +
> ludis at netcom.com                 (t + 858993459 >> 2 & 572662306) * 3) :
0;}