Legal engine swaps?

Frederic Breitwieser frederic.breitwieser at mcione.com
Tue Oct 7 14:37:01 GMT 1997

>The way I understand it, putting a more recent production motor in an older
>vehicle is Ok, provided the entire motor and all it's emissions control
>hardware are installed and functional.

You are correct for most/all of the US states.  Its the other way around
thats sometimes a legal hassle, as their are less emission controls on
older engines.

>I read somewhere that California had "referee" stations that could approve
>an installation and or modifications to a motor required to fit the
>chassis.

Most states do have such facilities, aimed at kit-cars and other limited
production vehicles.

Frederic Breitwieser
Homebrew Automotive Mailing List
Bridgeport, CT 06606
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Downs/4605/index.html
1989 AG Hummer 4-Door
1993 Supercharged Lincoln Continental
2000 Mid-Engine Sports Car <smile>

Seeking info on: Audi 5k Locking Diffs, Audi 5k trans bolt pattern, and
17x11" rims.

---