Legal engine swaps?

Robert Harris bob at bobthecomputerguy.com
Tue Oct 7 19:26:04 GMT 1997

A replacement engine of "identical" specs is not normally considered an engine
swap and if passing the smog visual and meter would never go to a referee.  A
"swap" is a changed, modified, "improved" engine of  other year specs.

Side note, in calif, you can generally get very good info from C.A.R.B on what
you want to do.  I contacted them for direction on how to drop a 429 into my 72
mustang without violating the rules. In my case, hopefully negated by Guv Pete
signing SB42, the major problem was to use a 72 or earlier Block, updated to 72
specs.  Since 72 429's was the last year of very limited smog, the C.A.R.B tech
guy said go early, smog it to 72 and save problems. A later block means adding
smog stuff.  Once passed thru the referee and approved, ANY 385 series block
could be used as a replacement without having to go back to the ref. Still
looking for the block to simplify things.

If the first ingredient ain't Habanero, then the rest don't matter.
Other Obsessions: Ferro-Equinary , 1972 "Killer Whale" Mustang
Currently Interred in the Peoples Democratic Republic of California - Stalag
Montclair
Puck da guns - ban Politicians!!!!!
Robert Harris <bob at bobthecomputerguy.com>