Legal engine swaps?

Terryk terryk at foothill.net
Wed Oct 8 06:33:20 GMT 1997

The only real rules are these:

1. The motor must be of the same year or newer.
2. The motor must be put in complete with emissions equipment.
3. The engine must be setup for the tranny (man or auto). The problem area
is where an engine intended for an auto is mated to a manual.

For example, putting a Buick 3.8L TPI in a Fiero with and manual tranny is
a no-go. The Buick 3.8L never had a manual tranny. However, dropping a 5.7L
TPI from Vette in there is fine, since it came with the manual tranny.

4. Induction swaps are fine if the car came with it. For example, I
converted a 1983 X-11 carb system to a 1985 MPFI, but used the 1983 block,
pistons, etc. It is now smogged as a 1985. Since the MPFI came with a
manual tranny, no sweat. I plan on swapping the 3.8L TPI into my 1983 auto
X-11. No sweat.

If the combination existed, they will go for it. They just want to see
clean installations and all of the equipment working. They aren't as bad as
people make out. They just aren't in a position to violate Federal laws, so
odd combinations (never existed) get bounced.

Keep in mind that the 5.7L TPI Vette engine in a manual tranny Fiero is ok
even though the combination never existed. The 5.7L is from a longitudinal
and swapped into a transverse. The only sticky point is if the tranny is
electronically controlled AND if this control is considered a part of
emissions. Driveabilty controls don't count.

Call Carb and ask what equipment the swap needs. They will rattle off a
list. Met the list and go for it.

TK