seeking fuel pressure sender

Jody Shapiro jshapiro at bit-net.com
Wed Oct 8 14:35:17 GMT 1997

On Wed, 8 Oct 1997, sfg wrote:

> I would like to mount the fuel pressure indicator in the cab of my
> truck, so the fuel-rail mounted type isn't the ticket. Is the
> diaphram material in an oil pressure sender resistant to gasoline ?
> I remain on the hunt....thanks for all the input thus far.  Steve

I haven't been following this thread super closely, so forgive me if I'm
answering the wrong question:

If you're looking for a fuel pressure gauge that you can mount inside the
vehicle, there's a few options.

AutoMeter (www.autometer.com) makes a mechanical gauge and has an isolator
(#5280) that mounts under the hood.  The line from the isolator to the
interior-mounted gauge contains antifreeze, so you won't see any interior
fires.

CyberDyne makes an electric fuel pressure gauge, but it's not very
sensitive to quick changes in fuel pressure (not an issue unless you're
using some form of fuel-pressure "spiker" like the typical supercharger
manufacturer supplied FMU that restricts the return line to jack the fuel
pressure up under boost).

VDO (I think) is supposed to be coming out with an electric fuel pressure
gauge, but I don't know if it's available yet.

As for using an electric oil pressure gauge as a fuel pressure gauge, I
know some people/places do it (like Fuel Injection Specialties
www.fis.com), but if you contact the gauge manufacturers themselves
they'll strongly try to discourage you from doing this as the equipment is
not made to be used with gasoline.  They could just be covering their own
asses from liability lawsuits, but you can't really blame them either I
suppose.

-Jody

--
97 Blue Vortech Z28 -  Best ET: 13.100  Best MPH: 110.79 (Goodyear RS-A's)
http://www.bit-net.com/~jshapiro/z28/