seeking fuel pressure sender

sfg sfgent at ac.net
Wed Oct 8 18:19:06 GMT 1997

Jody Shapiro wrote:

> On Wed, 8 Oct 1997, sfg wrote:
>
> > I would like to mount the fuel pressure indicator in the cab of my
> > truck, so the fuel-rail mounted type isn't the ticket. Is the
> > diaphram material in an oil pressure sender resistant to gasoline ?
> > I remain on the hunt....thanks for all the input thus far.  Steve
>
> I haven't been following this thread super closely, so forgive me if I'm
> answering the wrong question:
>
> If you're looking for a fuel pressure gauge that you can mount inside the
> vehicle, there's a few options.
>
> AutoMeter (www.autometer.com) makes a mechanical gauge and has an isolator
> (#5280) that mounts under the hood.  The line from the isolator to the
> interior-mounted gauge contains antifreeze, so you won't see any interior
> fires.
>
> CyberDyne makes an electric fuel pressure gauge, but it's not very
> sensitive to quick changes in fuel pressure (not an issue unless you're
> using some form of fuel-pressure "spiker" like the typical supercharger
> manufacturer supplied FMU that restricts the return line to jack the fuel
> pressure up under boost).
>
> VDO (I think) is supposed to be coming out with an electric fuel pressure
> gauge, but I don't know if it's available yet.
>
> As for using an electric oil pressure gauge as a fuel pressure gauge, I
> know some people/places do it (like Fuel Injection Specialties
> www.fis.com), but if you contact the gauge manufacturers themselves
> they'll strongly try to discourage you from doing this as the equipment is
> not made to be used with gasoline.  They could just be covering their own
> asses from liability lawsuits, but you can't really blame them either I
> suppose.
>
> -Jody
>
> --
> 97 Blue Vortech Z28 -  Best ET: 13.100  Best MPH: 110.79 (Goodyear RS-A's)
> http://www.bit-net.com/~jshapiro/z28/
Jody,
Re the VDO...they make a fuel sender for Mitchell Aircraft Products Co.
of Lake Bluff, IL. Its a 0-30 PSI, resistive sender VDO p/n 32/25 which
Mitchell calls their PS-211-9000. Looks exactly like an automotive
oil pressure sender. Costs about $32.00 I understand they have other
ranges also (Mitchell) but not all are sourced by VDO. I have a
Cyberdyne oil pressure gauge in the truck now. I'll check with Cyberdyne
also...maybe I could use the same display. It is often necessary these
days to seperate facts, from CYA liability BS. Thanks for your input.
Steve.   K30 Blazer: NVG4500HD NP205 fullfloatDana60 twin ARB.